By Judith Jones
Love it or hate it, there's no doubt that the arrival ofwinter is imminent, so we'd say it’s high time toget ourcold-weather wardrobes into gear. While there’s no lack of warm and cozy pieces on the market, it can be hard to decipher which ones will actuallystand up to the frigid temps this winter. To get a better sense of what pieces people are loving for winter, I went straight to the customer reviews and highly rated products at our favorite retailers to get the scoop. After hours of reading reviews—nine to be exact (hey, someone’s gotta do it), I whittled down some of the most highly rated pieces based on positive reviews. From cozy coats to shearling boots and cashmere sweaters, scroll below as I share some the highly touted cold-weather pieces and some snippets of the reviews they received. Stay warm!
Thickened Down Jacket
The popular coat thattook over the Upper East Side remains one of Amazon's best sellers—much loved for its style, warmth, and windproof properties.
"Out of probably 20 winter coats, this is now my absolute favorite! I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this coat. I love everything about it. The quality is outstanding. I have had every expensive brand name winter coat, but have never ever had one that has kept me this warm!"
Icon Teddy Bear Coat
Don't you just want to live in this teddy bear? Celebrity-loved and coveted for its luxurious cozy feel, this coat will make make a major statement (while keeping you snug).
"Such a great coat. Very warm!"
Shelburne Genuine Coyote Fur Trim Down Parka
Designed to stand up to frigid temps, this quilted parka is highly praised for its stylish silhouette and incredible warmth.
"This coat is amazing! Very comfortable and SO warm it’s like a loving embrace. I bought it to deal with the cold winds in Philadelphia and I can say it has stood the test! I'd definitely recommend. It fits perfectly, even over my bulky sweaters and other layers."
Patsy Hooded Down Coat
Mackage comes in with some of the highest reviews for its coats (thisfur-trim down coat also receives five-star ratings). Customers love this water-repellent puffer for its super-insulated properties and flattering fitted silhouette.
"This is one of the smartest, chicest puffer jackets I've ever seen. It has a great comfort zone down to 25F."
Ally Faux Fur Double Breasted Jacket
Snuggle in style. This double-breasted faux-fur coat is super soft and fashion-forward with a slightly oversize fit.
"This jacket is beautiful! Very luxurious, plush and extra soft. It looks really expensive and has an oversize fit. It's a keeper!"
Faux Shearling Double Belted Coat
Customers love this coat for its quality, great fit, and amazing feel. While it may not be for frigid temps, reviewers say it's still incredibly warm and when worn with layers it's the perfect coat to see you through fall and into winter.
"I absolutely love this coat (I ordered it in black) and have received so many compliments on it! The faux-fur collar is incredibly soft!"
GrandExpløre Genuine Shearling Trim Waterproof Hiker Boot
These waterproof hiking boots earn high points for style, comfort, and protection against the elements. They're super versatile too—they look cool worn with jeans on the weekend, with a skirt and tights to work, or with sweats for hiking. I own a pair and can attest they're super comfortable and look cool.
"These are really warm, comfortable and the nicest looking winter boots I’ve ever found. They are true to size and incredibly lightweight for being as warm as they are. They’re also the only winter boots that haven’t made my feet look like clown shoes. Highly recommended!"
Bos. & Co.
Major Waterproof Boot
With its thermo rubber sole providing underfoot insulation and shearling wool lining, these chic chunky heeled knee-high boots will keep you looking stylish and warm through the cold-weather season.
"Love these warm lined boots: very comfortable, and super warm. They have a nice platform that’s not too high. I have thin legs, and the width was perfect. Highly recommend."
Aimilita Black Leather Boots
Not only are heavy-duty combat boots trending hard right now, but this Dr. Martens pair will stand up to cold weather with its wool tartan lining and chunky heat-sealed rubber soles. Its air-cushioned sole makes them extremely comfortable.
"I am MADLY in love with these boots! They have what it takes to force me out of the house throughout the Indiana winter."
Classic II Genuine Shearling Lined Short Boot
Love them or hate them, there's no question that Uggs have a cult following and with over a whopping 1.4K positive reviews on Nordstrom, they are officially one of the most loved boots for their cozy comfort.
"My favorite winter boot! I've had mine for six years. They'll last you forever. Super comfy and very warm."
Simmens Waterproof Leather Boot
Another Ugg boot highly praised for its warmth, comfort, andstyle—with 110 five-star reviews.
"They kept my feet warm and dry when I was standing on wet grass and ground in 35 degree (rain/drizzle) weather by a river for hours! Stylish enough to dress up or down. So happy I got them! Will be my go-to boots for a long time!"
Side Slit Supersoft Turtleneck Sweater
Super soft, warm, and comfortable, this merino wool and alpaca blend sweater is a hit among customers for its warmth that doesn't weigh you down. It also comes in six chic colors.
"This is a great roomy sweater that is not too bulky. Extremely soft and squishy, very soft and breathable."
CozyChic Lite Circle Cardigan
With 120 five-star reviews, customers can't get enough of this plush and cozy cardigan that will keep you snug and warm no matter the season. It's definitely more casual in nature and runs large so order a size down.
"I will be back for another one. This cardigan is super soft and comfortable. I keep it on the back of my chair at work and wear around the freezing office all day. I need another one for home. I've tried other cardigans from this brand, and so far this one is my favorite. It's like wearing a hug."
Side Button Sweater
A soft and cozy layering sweater, the side buttons are a chic addition and customers love the value for money. It comes in five cool colors.
"I love the quality of this sweater—it looks very chic (the pale blue and is an unexpected winter color). It is soft and warm, Great for date night or paired with faux leather pants. Super flattering length."
Re-Tool Snap-T Fleece Pullover
This casual fleecy pullover is perfect for both winter outdoor activities and casual weekends thrown on with jeans. Reviewers love its flattering fit and the fact that it's lightweight but seriously warm.
"This is one of the warmest, most comfortable sweatshirts I own! It’s super flattering and really can be 'dressed up”'when worn with jeans and booties. I think it’s fully worth the money."
Raglan Sleeve Cashmere Cardigan
A luxuriously soft 100% cashmere cardigan, customers love this one for its warmth, versatility, beautiful feel and chic factor.
"This cardigan is thick, soft and the most lovely color.Great for fall and winter in Seattle. I will wear over a button-up silk blouse for work and a tee for the weekend. Lots of room to layer underneath too."
Cozychic Lite Pullover
For casual and cozy winter weekends, this five-star-rated sweater will keep you toasty.
"Everyone needs to own this pullover. It is so comfortable and is SO warm. It's like a weighted comfort blanket."
Fleece Lined Leggings
These leggings are highly touted on Amazon with over 437 amazing customer reviews. Designed with soft fleece and breathable fabric, they're sure to keep you toasty during all your favorite winter activities."Pulling these pants on was like stepping into a hug. The fleece is lightweight but cozy. I need 15 more pairs so I can live in them the entire winter."
Heat Scoop Neck Thermal Top
If you need an extra layer of warmth this winter (without too much bulk), this fitted thermal top is it. Customers rave about how warm yet thin and seamless this top—perfect for wearing under blouses or sweaters.
"Perfect item for layering. When we travel, we want to pack light. These allow you to head to cold temperatures without packing bulky sweaters, coats, and sweatshirts. Put these under a pair of lightweight traveling clothes and you're ready for anything. We just got back from Iceland hiking on Glaciers, and hiking all over European cities. These saved us so much luggage room. We also use them when traveling locally to areas with climates in the low 20s up to the 60s. Also perfect as pajamas."
This quilted vest offers maximum warmth in minimal weight. It's touted for its great quality, warmth, and ability to compress down easily when traveling.
"The perfect travel vest because it packs down to nothing but still has great shape and structure when it’s on. It's warm, without the bulk, the quality is impeccable and you can't beat their guarantee."
Merino Wool Socks
Made from merino wool these socks have moisture-wicking properties that will keep your feet toasty and sweat-free through winter.
"These socks are amazing! Incredibly soft and comfortable, I wear them all the time. My feet get cold easily, and it's been a struggle to find a perfect fit; all socks were either too large or too thick or tight or not warm enough until I tried these and the price is pretty fair. They feel like butter and fit well. I am definitely getting these for my family for Christmas."
Soft Warm Padding Scarf
It's almost like you don't have to get out of bed! Duvet dressing is a huge trend for fall/winter 2019, and this cozy scarf nails it perfectly.
"Love this scarf! Get so many compliments on it! It’s super warm!"
Cuffed Wool Beanie
Made from 100% merino wool this classic and cool beanie will add a vibrant touch to your winter outfits.
"It is super soft plus thick and durable. I plan to get a lot of use out of it this season!"
Up next, the only coats to buy right now, according to 9 fashionable brits.
Ed. Note: Reviews have been lightly edited for clarity.
Hello! I’m Judith, Who What Wear's fashion market editor. I joined the company four years ago, when I started on the Shop Who What Wear team, creating content and managing a team of merchandisers for our shopping app. I crossed over to the edit team two years later, where I now share my love and expertise on the most sought-after shopping picks and trends on the market. I came to the fashion world a little later in my career. (I like to call it my “second life” à la Hillary Kerr’s podcast!) Prior to joining Who What Wear, I worked as a writer and TV host on the PBS travel show Globe Trekker, and before that, I studied dramatic arts in London and New York. I’m a British-Paraguayan mix, and grew up in Wales and Newcastle in the UK. I now call Santa Monica home. When it comes to my personal style, you’ll find me wearing blazers, blouses, and jeans on any given day. I love relaxed-tailored separates for work and can’t resist a pretty floral frock. When I’m not writing about fashion (or shopping!), I can be found snuggling and dancing with my wonderful son, eating my way through L.A’s restaurants, and dreaming up my next trip around the world.
Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts
As a fashion market editor at Who What Wear, I have extensive knowledge and expertise in the latest fashion trends, sought-after shopping picks, and the most stylish pieces on the market. With four years of experience in the industry, I have a deep understanding of fashion and style.
Winter Fashion Concepts
This article discusses various cold-weather pieces that are highly rated and loved by customers. Let's explore the concepts mentioned in the article:
- Orolay Thickened Down Jacket: This popular coat is known for its style, warmth, and windproof properties [].
- Max Mara Icon Teddy Bear Coat: Loved for its luxurious cozy feel, this coat makes a major statement [].
- Canada Goose Shelburne Genuine Coyote Fur Trim Down Parka: Praised for its stylish silhouette and incredible warmth, this quilted parka is designed to withstand frigid temperatures [].
- Mackage Patsy Hooded Down Coat: Customers appreciate the water-repellent properties, super-insulated design, and flattering silhouette of this coat [].
- Topshop Ally Faux Fur Double Breasted Jacket: This double-breasted faux-fur coat is both stylish and soft, with an oversized fit [].
- Calvin Klein Faux Shearling Double Belted Coat: While not suitable for extremely cold temperatures, this coat is loved for its quality, fit, and faux-fur collar [].
- Cole Haan GrandExpløre Genuine Shearling Trim Waterproof Hiker Boot: These waterproof hiking boots are praised for their style, comfort, and protection against the elements. They are versatile and can be worn with various outfits [].
- Bos. & Co. Major Waterproof Boot: With a thermo rubber sole and shearling wool lining, these chunky heeled knee-high boots offer both style and warmth [].
- Dr. Martens Aimilita Black Leather Boots: These heavy-duty combat boots feature wool tartan lining and chunky rubber soles, making them suitable for cold weather. They are also comfortable and trendy [].
- Ugg Classic II Genuine Shearling Lined Short Boot: Known for their cult following, Uggs are loved for their cozy comfort and durability [].
- Ugg Simmens Waterproof Leather Boot: Highly praised for their warmth, comfort, and style, these boots are versatile and suitable for various occasions [].
- J.Crew Side Slit Supersoft Turtleneck Sweater: Made from a merino wool and alpaca blend, this sweater is known for its softness, warmth, and breathable nature [].
- Barefoot Dreams CozyChic Lite Circle Cardigan: This plush and cozy cardigan is perfect for staying warm and comfortable. It's casual in nature and runs large, so ordering a size down is recommended [].
- 1901 Side Button Sweater: Customers love the quality, warmth, and value for money of this side-button sweater. It comes in various colors [].
- Patagonia Re-Tool Snap-T Fleece Pullover: This casual fleecy pullover is lightweight yet warm, making it suitable for outdoor activities and casual weekends [].
- Vince Raglan Sleeve Cashmere Cardigan: Made from 100% cashmere, this cardigan is praised for its softness, warmth, versatility, and chic factor [].
- Barefoot Dreams Cozychic Lite Pullover: This sweater is known for its comfort and warmth, making it perfect for casual winter weekends [].
- Baleaf Fleece Lined Leggings: These leggings are designed with soft fleece and breathable fabric, providing warmth and comfort during winter activities [].
- 32 Degrees Heat Scoop Neck Thermal Top: This fitted thermal top offers an extra layer of warmth without adding bulk. It's perfect for layering under blouses or sweaters [].
- Patagonia Down Vest: Known for its lightweight design and maximum warmth, this quilted vest is highly regarded for its quality and compressibility [].
- Moon Wood Merino Wool Socks: Made from merino wool, these socks are soft, comfortable, and moisture-wicking, keeping your feet warm and sweat-free during winter [].
- Mirmaru Soft Warm Padding Scarf: This cozy scarf embraces the duvet dressing trend, providing warmth and style [].
- Madewell Cuffed Wool Beanie: Made from 100% merino wool, this classic beanie adds a vibrant touch to winter outfits while keeping you warm [].
These are just a few of the highly rated cold-weather pieces mentioned in the article. Each item offers unique features and benefits, ensuring both style and warmth during the winter season.
I hope this information helps you make informed choices for your cold-weather wardrobe!